This was a most notable year for two reasons. Firstly, by the end of October 1,000 students had enrolled at the College. Secondly, on October 12th the electric light was installed.
Admission Fees were charged for the first time – 4/- per session.
The amount of Government grant awarded each year was based on the number of students who made at least twenty attendances in each subject taken. The admission card incorporated a declaration to be signed by the student, who undertook to attend at least twenty times in each of his or her chosen subjects, unless prevented by illness.
A rather amusing extract from H.M. Inspector’s report for the year:—
“The class in woodwork is conducted more on philanthropic than educational lines. The boys are very rough and can apparently only be induced to attend by letting them do what they please at the class. No definite course of instruction is insisted on and strictly speaking much of the so-called ‘work’ is quite undeserving of grant.”
Nevertheless, the total grant paid for the year was £355 11s. 6d.
The People’s College was now classified as a special “Commercial and Technical Centre” for students who had already completed a course of study at an Evening Continuation School. The syllabuses were devised with the intention of linking up with more advanced courses at University College.
The day school was developing into a Junior Technical School, of the kind recognised by the Board of Education in 1913.
Students from People’s College were taking examinations conducted by the Board of Education, the Royal Society of
Arts and the National Union of Teachers, but a new examining body was emerging at this time which was to prove very popular in later years: the East Midland Educational Union.