Prior to the 1944 Education Act, People’s College was an Evening Institute providing both commercial and technical classes. In 1945, the commercial classes were transferred to Clarendon College and the first day release classes for the building apprentices were organised at People’s College. The day release students during this session totalled 334 and this number increased steadily.
Additional day release classes were arranged for engineering apprentices, juniors in the cinema
industry and grocery trade.
The re-organisation following the 1944 Education Act resulted in People’s College Junior Technical School becoming a Secondary Technical School for the Building Industry and Allied Trades. This meant that there was no accommodation during the day in the main building of People’s College, causing accommodation problems which were to increase until, in 1958, classes were being held in 17 different buildings.